logo

Guarlford History Group

St Mary's Church

Charles Andrew, a Victorian benefactor

Summary

Memorial window

On the north wall of St Mary Guarlford is a window dedicated to the memory of Charles Andrew, died 1899, whose grave is midway along the west boundary of the churchyard, a few yards northwest of the church door.

Charles was not a local man. He was the third son of a cotton manufacturer, born in the village of Compstall near Romiley in Cheshire on the edge of Greater Manchester.

His connection to St Mary is that his sister Emma married a clergyman, Revd John Bateman Wathen, who later became Rector of St Mary, Guarlford.

Contents

Family

Charles' second marriage

About sisters of second wife Jane Margaret Andrew nee Blayney

More about Charles' second wife Jane Margaret Blayney

Dripshill Farm

Marriage of Charles daughters

Charles brother George junior

Charles sister Emma

Revd John Bateman Wathen (brother in law)

John Wathen Eyton Lloyd (great nephew)

Death of Charles Andrew

Family buried in St Mary's churchyard

Family

In the early 1800s Charles' grandfather Thomas and father George had established a water driven Calico Printing business, and Cotton Mill in Compstall and built houses for their workers, greatly enlarging the community and prosperity of what had formerly been a rural hamlet. Charles was the youngest son of mill owner George and Grace Andrew (nee Midwood). The 1851 census described Charles' father, George Andrew senior, as a cotton manufacturer employing 472 males and 578 females.

Charles, living nearby, is similarly described as a cotton manufacturer, owning two cotton manufacture works, employing 472 males and 578 females, so Charles and his father must then have been in business together which is confirmed by the following announcement in the London Gazette in 1850.

Notice is hereby given that the partnership hereto subsisting betwen us the undersigned George Andrew the elder, Thomas Andrew, George Andrew the younger, and Charles Andrew, as Calico Printers, Cotton Spinners and Manufacturers, and carried on at Compstall, and at Manchester under the firm of George Andrew and Sons, was dissolved on 30th day of June last by mutual consent. The Manufacturing Establishment will in future be carried on by Messrs George Andrew senior and Charles Andrew, and the Printing Establishment by Mr George Andrew the younger, as witness our hand this day 22nd day of August 1850.

George Andrew, George Andrew Junior, Thomas Andrew, Charles Andrew.

Perhaps this reorganisation of the business had something to do with Charles' marriage at the beginning of that year.

On 24th January 1850 Charles had married by licence Ann Ashton the youngest daughter of Samuel Ashton (1773 - 1849), a Cotton Spinner of Pole Bank, Werneth, who had died the previous year.

Samuel was the uncle of Thomas Ashton (1818 - 1898) another cotton manufacturer who was the father of Thomas Gair Ashton (1855 - 1933) an industrialist and politician who became 1st Baron Ashton of Hyde.

There seem to have been serious disputes between mill owners and their workers in those days as evidenced by the brutal murder of Ann's elder brother Thomas, aged 24 years, who was shot by a disgruntled Trade Unionist in 1831.

Charles and Ann's marriage was reported in the Times on Saturday Jan 26th 1850:

On the 24th inst, at the parish church of Leamington, by the Rev John Rodgers, incumbent of Compstall, Charles Andrew Esq, youngest son of George Andrew Esq, Compstall Cheshire, to Anne, youngest daughter of the late Samuel Ashton Esq, Pole Bank, Cheshire.

Their marriage certificate records that the couple were married at the parish church Leamington Priors in Warwickshire, now known as Leamington Spa. Why the couple married in Warwickshire is somewhat of a mystery as Ann came from Werneth near Hyde in Cheshire where her family owned cotton mills; but we speculate that as both her parents were dead by the time of her marriage, there may have been other family living in the area. Charles' elder brother George was a witness.

 

Charles and his elder brother George inherited the 'Cotton Works' after their father's death in 1854.

Charles' wife Ann sadly died at Green-Hill Compstall (later renamed Compstall Hall) on December 9th 1862, leaving Charles with five young daughters to bring up:

  • Margaret Ashton Andrew b 1850

  • Lucy Andrew b 1852

  • Florence Andrew b1856

  • Constance Mary Andrew b1859

  • Bessie Andrew b1860

Ann's early death was announced in the Times on December 12th 1862:

On the 9th inst at Green-hill, Compstall, Cheshire, aged 38, Ann wife of Charles Andrew.

There is a memorial to Ann Andrew on the wall of St Paul's church, Compstall, which also mentions Charles. The inscription reads:

In memory of Ann, wife of Charles Andrew of Compstall, born December 23rd 1823, died December 9th 1862.

Also of Charles Andrew who died January 5th 1899 aged 77 years.

The Marple Local History Society told us that Charles probably sold his half share in the 'Cotton Works' to George's son-in-law, Montagu Woodmass who married into the family in 1867 (ref 5); perhaps this decision was influenced by neither Charles nor George having a son to inherit the family business, and Charles marrying second in 1868, Jane Margaret Blayney of Evesham.

The London Gazette announced Charles retirement from the family business on 24th September 1869:

Notice is hereby given that the partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned George Andrew and Charles Andrew, Cotton Manufacturers, Calico Printers, and Merchants, at Compstall in the counties of Chester and Derby, and at No 42, Church Street in the city of Manchester, under the firm of George Andrew and Sons, was dissolved by mutual consent on the 30th day of June last, from which time the said businesses have been and will continue to be carried on by the said George Andrew, in partnership with the undersigned Montagu Woodmass at Compstall and Manchester aforesaid, under the like firm of George Andrew and Sons; and such new firm will receive and pay all partnership accounts of the late firm. Witness our hands this 18th day of September 1869.

George Andrew, Charles Andrew, Montagu Woodmass

Charles' second marriage

Charles AndrewPhoto of Charles Andrew (left) source Marple Local History Society.

We did not find Charles in the 1861 and 1871 census, but in 1868 he married, second, Jane Margaret Blayney, daughter of Thomas Blayney (deceased) formerly of The Lodge, Evesham.

The marriage was registered in the district Upton Upon Severn and may very well have taken place at St Mary Guarlford, as Charles' sister Emma was then the wife of the Rector John Bateman Wathen.

The 1871 census records two of Charles' young daughters Constance and Bessie, from his first marriage, living not far away from Guarlford at Ham Court, Longdon, near Upton Upon Severn, together with a governess, two nephews, a niece and ten servants. Charles and Jane were not there and we wondered if they were possibly abroad with Jane's sister who had lost her husband the previous year.

The 1881 census records that the family latterly lived at Coughton Court near Redditch in Warwickshire, home of the Throckmorton family who were Catholics and involved in the Gunpowder Plot.

About sisters of second wife Jane Margaret Andrew nee Blayney

Charles Andrew's second wife Jane had two sisters Anna, and Mary Eleanor, some of whose children were at Ham Court, Longdon in 1871 when Charles and Jane were away from home. So why was this?

Anna Blayney had married solicitor and Justice of the Peace for Warwickshire Thomas Colmore (1807 - 1870) of Ashfurlong Hall, Sutton Coldfield. After her husband's death the youngest children Mary and Frederick went to live with Jane and Charles at Ham Court.

Anna's son Revd William Harrison Colmore became vicar of St Mary's church Moseley (1876 - 1907).

Mary Eleanor Blayney had married landowner George Jackson of Westhorpe House, Marlow. She bore him sixteen children before her death in 1860. In 1871 her son Eustace Octavius Jackson aged 20 was staying at Ham Court with his cousins, possibly to help out while his aunt and uncle were away.

Later a directory and the 1881 census record Captain Eustace Jackson, a farmer of 140 acres, living at White House Farm near Guarlford. With him is his brother Frederick Nathaniel Jackson, who died in 1882, and a servant Mary Ann Scaffold.

More about Charles' second wife Jane Margaret Blayney

Charles had married second, Jane Margaret Blayney of Evesham, the daughter of Thomas Blayney of 'The Lodge' who was born 1762 and  died in 1836 when Jane was 4 years old. Here we discovered another interesting link with Guarlford.

According to 'A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, Enjoying Territorial Possessions Or High Official Rank':-

Thomas Blayney inherited the title Lord of the manor of Guarlford and possession of estates at Dripshill, Moseley, Kings Norton and Northfield from his elder brother Revd Robert Blayney (1757 - 1824),  who had himself inherited  from his maternal uncle Sir Charles Trubshaw Withers, Sheriff of Worcester.

This is confirmed by a map in Malvern library dated 1832 showing Thomas Blayney owning land  from Dripshill on the north side of Rhydd Road extending to land on the south side. When Thomas died the land passed to Thomas's son Robert Blayney (1818 - 1856).

A historian of St Mary, Moseley, told us that according to the Tithe apportionment map of 1840 Robert Blayney also owned nearly 90 acres in and near Moseley which was then a small village.

Dripshill Farm

The association between Guarlford and the Blayney family is mentioned in The Guarlford Story. Here is an extract from chapter 2:

This farm was built as the Home Farm to Dripshill House in the 1750s. It was owned by Sir Charles Trubshaw Withers, and then, by 1843, by Robert Blayney, who was his great nephew.

Malvern tithe awards tell us that Blayney let one hundred and thirty seven acres to Henry Lakin, thirty-two acres to Robert Hart, and fifty-nine acres at White House Farm to John Blake.

Edward Corbett wrote in his regular column for the Worcester Herald in the 1920s, "I found the Blayneys still at Dripshill in mid-Victorian times. They had continued to be of the class with whom we have so often come in touch, hereditary landowners with professional occupations and holding local public appointments. They seem to have sold Dripshill towards the close of the last century (1800s); and it is now held by Commander F. J. Ratcliff, R.N." We know that Dripshill House and Dripshill Farm were owned for a time by the Madresfield Estate. H. W. Whatley purchased Dripshill House for 2,100 in the Madresfield Estate sale of 1919. Gerald Radcliffe was the owner until around 1925, when he sold to Commander Francis James Ratcliff, before going abroad to farm in Africa.

Charles' second wife Jane Margaret Andrew died in 1901 at Sherborne, Malvern Wells, where she was living with his granddaughter, Alice Mary Corbett.

Marriages of Charles' daughters by his first wife Ann

All Charles' daughters seem to have made advantageous marriages.

Margaret Ashton Andrew married Uvedale Bennett Corbett 6th August 1877, Upton Upon Severn Registration district. Uvedale Bennett was the son of Uvedale Corbett of Aston Hall, Shropshire, and became a JP for Chester. They had four children.

Lucy Andrew married 1874, probably at Guarlford, solicitor James Croft Ingram (1844 - 1905). They had six children, Dorothy Ashton, Cicely Margaret, Charles James, John Markham, Thomas Ashton and Arthur Irvine. Arthur married Marian Ridge Williams and their daughter Dorothy Irvine Ingram married the son of Sir John Frederick Shelley 10th Baronet in 1940.

Florence Andrew married 12 January 1887 Frederick Hugh Lee, son of John Benjamin Lee, solicitor, at Coughton parish church. They had one son.

Constance Mary Andrew married 22nd August 1881, Chelsea, London, Bruno Aloysius Butler Bowden, son of John Butler Bowden (deceased), landowner and JP, formerly of Pleasington Hall. They had two daughters.

Bessie Andrew married 5th April 1888 James Shapland Sargeaunt, son of  James Primatt Sargeaunt, at Coughton parish church. They had one daughter.

(James Primatt Sargeaunt was born 22 Feb 1831 at Easton-Maudit, Northants. Schools, Charterhouse and Westminster. Graduate of Cambridge. A clerk in the War Office, 1854. Inspector of Army Schools, 1855-70. Latterly of the Park, Tewkesbury. JP for Gloucestershire. Married, 1856, Fanny, daughter of the Revd Joseph Shapland, of Tewkesbury Park. Died 26 Apr 1900.)

Charles' brother George junior

George AndrewGeorge Andrew (see photo right, source: Marple History Society) continued to run the cotton mill at Compstall, in partnership with his son-in-law Montagu Woodmass, until his death in 1873.

Montague Woodmass then took control of the business, until about 1893 when there was over capacity in the industry and the firm was forced to close.

A memorial in St Paul's church Compstall records that one of George junior's grandsons was killed in the Great War. The memorial reads:

In loving memory of Captain Kenrick Talbot Woodmass, East Yorkshire regiment; 4th son of Montagu Woodmass and great grandson of George Andrew, the founder of this village and church; who was killed in action near Ypres, April 23 1915, Aged 37. Served in the South African War 1899 - 1900: three times mentioned in despatches; two medals and five clasps.

Charles' sister Emma

Emma Wathen nee Andrew

The connection with the Blayney family was not Charles' only association with Guarlford, for in 1851, his sister Emma Maria Louisa Andrew had married at Stockport, Cheshire, a Gloucestershire curate, the Revd John Bateman Wathen, who in 1857 became curate and then Rector of Guarlford.

Could it be that Emma (see left) arranged for her husband Rev Wathen to marry her brother Charles and his second wife Jane at St Mary Guarlford?


A window in St Mary is dedicated to the memory of Emma (see photo below). It is immediately on the left as you enter the nave.


Memorial window

Rev John and Emma Wathen had six children:

  • Herbert Reginald Wathen

  • Bertha Midwood Wathen (see below)

  • Constance Emma Wathen

  • Alice Fanny Wathen

  • George William Wathen

  • Percy Montague Wathen


Revd John Bateman Wathen (brother in law)

It is not clear how The Revd J B Wathen met Emma. Perhaps the families were visiting Great Malvern for the water cure, or the families had a connection by way of trade. The Andrew family were manufacturers of printed cotton in or near Manchester, while the Rector's family had been manufacturers of woollen cloth, not to mention earthenware and ironmongery.

John Bateman WathenJohn Bateman Wathen, born Woodchester in Gloucestershire in 1821, was the son of Obadiah Paul Wathen (1783 - 1868)  and Margaret Bateman. Obadiah was the son of Sir William Wathen and Margaret Peach whose family owned woollen mills around Woodchester sadly the business went bankrupt about 1837.

John's maternal grandfather was James Bateman (1749 - 1824) a wealthy manufacturer who built Islington House, a mansion in Salford.

Here is a short extract from the Nat Gould website (see link above) about the career of James Bateman:-


'By 1788 James Bateman & Company had iron foundries at Water Street in Salford and in Dukinfield in Cheshire, and iron forges at Dukinfield and Collyhurst in Manchester. William Sherratt 1754-1822 joined as a partner. In 1791 Bateman & Sherratt set up the Salford Iron Works, and became one of the largest manufacturers of cast iron products and stationary steam engines, outselling even Boulton & Watt of Birmingham.

They manufactured the first marine steam engine. Their machines powered the cotton mills that were rapidly making Manchester the world's first industrial city'.


This link between machines and cotton goes some way to explaining how the Wathen and Andrew families might have met.

(Rev Wathen's brother James Bateman Wathen married Esther Venables and then left for Australia where two children were born, after which the family returned to Staffordshire and engaged in the manufacture of earthenware and colour paint. Later their son Ernest John Wathen emigrated to the USA and another son William Montague Wathen emigrated to New Zealand.)


John Wathen Eyton Lloyd (great nephew)

Memorial to John Wathen Eyton LloydEmma and the Revd John Bateman Wathen's eldest daughter, Bertha Midwood Wathen, married a Welsh doctor, Dr Albert Eyton Lloyd in 1883. They had three children,

  • George Eyton Lloyd

  • Lily Eyton Lloyd

  • John Wathen Eyton Lloyd.

So the small cross on the north wall of Guarlford church is a memorial to the Revd Wathen's grandson, John Wathen Eyton Lloyd, 10 Squadron Royal Flying Corps, who was killed in 1917, aged 21 years.

He was the second of cotton magnate George Andrew's descendants to be killed in the Great War.

Death of Charles Andrew

The National Probate Calendar and memorial window in St Mary's tells us that Charles died on January 5th 1899 at Coughton Court.

On Wednesday March 8th 1899, the Times announced a sale of his coin collection:

Messrs Christie, Manson, and Woods respectively give notice that they will sell by auction at their great Rooms, King-Street, St James Square, today (by order of the executors), after the sale of the Marquis of Exeter's collection, a small Collection of Roman English and foreign coins, the property of Charles Andrew Esq, deceased, late of Coughton Court, Warwickshire, including a very fine Oxford treble sovereign of Charles I, 1643, and a half crown of Cromwell, in perfect state, also gold coronation and jubilee medals, mahogany coin cabinet etc. Catalogues may be had.

An announcement in the Times on Tuesday 4th April 1899 advertised the sale of Charles Andrew's collection of pictures and water colour drawings, and a further announcement, porcelain and other effects.

Family buried in St Mary's churchyard

There are five members of the Andrew family buried in St Mary's churchyard and you will find their headstones opposite the seat next to the church door.

  • Grace Andrew, died 1875, mother of Charles Andrew
  • Charles Andrew, died 1899
  • Emma Maria Louisa Wathen, died 1900, sister of Charles Andrew
  • Jane Margaret Andrew, died 1901, second wife of Charles Andrew
  • Eliza Eleanor Andrew, died 1905, second wife of Charles' eldest brother Thomas who had died in 1860. She latterly lived by the sea at Weston Super Mare.

Andrew family headstones

Graves of Charles Andrew and his second wife

Postscript

In July 2016 the Guarlford History Group was contacted by the Marple Local History Society who are researching the Andrew family of Compstall and were able to provide more information about the family. They plan to publish an account of the family towards the end of 2016.

References

  1. The Guarlford Story

  2. Guarlford churchyard survey

  3. England and Wales census

  4. National Probate Calendar

  5. Communication from Neil Mullineux, Marple Local History Society, July 2016


Based on extracts from The Guarlford Story with photos and further research by Angus and Rosemary McCulloch

Last revised 31st July 2016


Back to top