What's new on the website and in the village
|Friday 11th May 2018||Addition of agenda for Parish Council meeting on Monday 14th May 2018|
|Sunday 8th April 2018||
Addition of a new article in which Sam Beard remembers meeting Oliver Churchill who was later to become an SOE agent operating in and around Italy during WWII.
|Thursday 15th March 2018||
Cancellation of Daffodil Sunday at Madresfield Court
Sadly this event will not now take place, as the field used for parking is waterlogged.
|Sunday 11th March 2018||
Worcestershire Pollinators Conference 2018Please see attached poster
If you have an interest in BEES this may interest you, but note bookings close 12th March 2018
|Wednesday 28th February 2018||
Appointment of new RectorLast Sunday it was announced in church that a new Rector has been appointed. He is Revd Gary Crellin and further details of the appointment can be found on the Diocese of Worcester website.
Welcome Rev Gary!
Gary will be instituted at Powick on Sunday 27th May at 4:00 pm
|Tuesday 27th February 2018||
The Plough and HarrowA company known as Brunning and Price is interested in purchasing and renovating the Plough and Harrow pub and are holding an open afternoon on Thursday 8th March from 3 pm until 8 pm at Guarlford Village Hall to share ideas before applying for planning permission.
Do take this opportunity, to look at the proposals and put forward your views.
|Saturday 13th January 2018||
Happy New YearWI programme for 2018 added and news updated.
|Sunday 10th December 2017||
Cancellation of service at St Mary Madresfield
Please note that 11:00 AM Mattins at Madresfield has been cancelled due to the forecast bad weather.
|11th December 2017||
Meeting of Guarlford Parish CouncilVenue: Guarlford Village Hall
Time: 7:30 pm
See agenda and minutes of 8th May 2017 meeting
|28th November 2017||
Carol ServiceThe Carol Service for the parish of Guarlford and Madresfield with Newland will be held this year at St Mary, Madresfield, on Sunday 17th December.
Please note this will be in the morning at 11:00 am
(The time printed in the Grapevine is incorrect)
Madresfield 150th Anniversary Service
On the 19th November a special service was held at St Mary Madresfield to mark the 150th anniversary of the consecration of the church on 10th November 1867.
This was well attended and afterwards the congregation was invited to refreshments at Madresfield Court.
Special November issue of the Grapevine
You may have noted that the November issue of the Grapevine was a special edition to mark the 150th anniversary of St Mary Madresfield.
The edition is designed so that, with care, the centre section about the history of the church can be pulled out and retained as a souvenir.
Plough and Harrow planning application
At the public consultation meeting about the brewery's application to seek change of use to residential, in order to facilitate the sale of the property as a home, it was suggested residents make representations through the planning website, backed up by letters to councillors on the planning committee.
The application is likely to be discussed at the next meeting in January 2018. Residents are encouraged to attend the meeting.
Amy Clifford nee Neal
The members of the Guarlford History group extend their sympathy to Mrs P Smith, who has written to advise us of the death of her Aunt Amy Clifford (nee Neal) at the age of 99 years. We were very grateful to Amy for the vivid account she gave us of growing up in Guarlford.
|5th November 2017||
Plough and HarrowAn application has been made to convert the Plough and Harrow from a Public House to residential use. A public meeting will be held in the village hall on Monday 20th November at 7:30 pm to discuss this - see noticeboard.
|24th September 2017||
Anniversary serviceChurch services for October added, and noticeboard updated.
This includes notice of a special 150th anniversary service at our sister church
St Mary Madresfield, on 19th November
|1st September 2017||Church services for September added, and noticeboard updated.|
|1st September 2017||
Fires in the Night (from the Grapevine)
On Saturday 5th August several people from the parish joined a Book Launch at the Malvern Book Co-operative in St Ann's Road, Great Malvern. Mary Jarratt, who until recently lived in Guarlford, was introducing her first children's book Fires in the Night set in the dying days of Roman rule in Britain.
The tale came to life when Mary was teaching a class of Year 2 children in Essex about Roman life. Unable to find a suitable story to read to them, Mary made up her own, based on Colchester, which she has now had published.
'Fires in the Night' is not only an exciting narrative by a young boy called Justin, son of a centurion, but also gives a vivid picture of a city like Colchester in Roman times. What begins as a forbidden walk along the top of the city wall leads to Justin and his friends discovering a plot to betray the city to the Saxon invaders.
Mary Jarrett signing books, at the book launch
The book, priced £6.99, has been designed and published by John Bradshaw of JRB Publishing, Guarlford, and printed by Aspect Design, Malvern. The book is illustrated by Joel Mercer.Mary is now working on a second book - we shall look forward to that.
|13th June 2017||
Guarlford Parish CouncilLink to Parish Council annual accounts added to Financial Reports page.
Noticeboard updated with dates of the Three Counties Show; Civic Week, when there are lots of interesting events going on in Great Malvern; and festivals at Upton upon Severn.
|17th May 2017||
Update of church pagesNew page added giving an overview of the ecclesiastical parish.
Church services updated, Rural Dean's contact details placed on benefice page as temporary measure prior to appointment of the next Rector; minor edit of PCC members page.
|27th March 2017||
Notice of a casual vacancy on Guarlford Parish Council
A well attended funeral service was held on 10th March in memory of Councillor Eric Jones who died suddenly at Christmas while on holiday abroad. In due course a tribute to Eric will be published on the website
In consequence of this sad event there is a casual vacancy on Guarlford Parish Council, and a formal notice about filling the vacancy has been published by the clerk of the PCC. Please click to open and read the document in pdf format, in a new window.
Our new Tree Warden is Jenny Cameron, and our new Parish Path Warden is Richard Worthington.
|26th January 2017||
A new role for Revd Sue Irwin
It was announced in church last week that Revd Sue will be moving to a new appointment as Chaplain to St Oswald's Hospital in Worcester. Her last day in the Benefice is expected to be 30th April when there will be a Four in Faith Service, followed by refreshments at St Peter's Powick; see church news
|20th November 2016||
Item added to the noticeboard about the roll out of 'superfast' broadband in Worcestershire. It looks like this might not be available in Guarlford and Madresfield villages, except for one or two properties, for two years or more, but do say if you know different.
|31st October 2016||
The short story about the Packhorse Way has been amended with the addition of two paintings by Victorian art teacher George Paterson Yeats. One is of the old Elm which once stood on the corner of Hall Green, and the other is of the cottages which once stood at Rose Farm opposite the Green Dragon.
The noticeboard has also been updated and church services added up to New Year.
|22nd May 2016||
Dates of WI meetings in June and July updated.
We are pleased to announce that the new Churchwarden for St Mary Guarlford is Mr Christopher Lester. Chris has taken over from Don Hill who has been Churchwarden for many years - thank you Don for all you have done, and continue to do, for the village church.
|29th March 2016||
Noticeboard updatedNotice of Village Hall AGM and church meetings in April added. Also advance notice of Madresfield Court Open Gardens and Summer Fete which will be on Saturday 11th June, 1-4pm
Church services added for April and May
|18th February 2016||
More memories of an evacueeDon Smith has very kindly sent his memories of being evacuated to Guarlford during WWII
|3rd February 2016||
Churchyard headstone projectRemaining links to photographs have been added to the Survey of St Mary's Churchyard. Bearing in mind the possibility of human error, do please advise of any concerns or corrections needed using the email address listed under Contact Us.
The noticeboard has been updated and church services posted for the period through to Easter.
Please note the deadline for copy for the Grapevine will in future be the 8th of the month.
|5th January 2016||
Happy new year 2016
The list of church services has been updated to show January events, and includes details of services at Madresfield, Powick and at St James Callow End.
|22nd November 2015||
Church news updatedInformation relayed about appeal by the Elim Mission in aid of Syrian Refugees - click for church news page
|6th November 2015||
The November issue of The Grapevine has been posted through letter boxes and from this details of Christmas events such as the Guarlford Christmas Bazaar have been added to the noticeboard. Church Services up to the end of December have also been added.
The Remembrance Day service at St Mary Guarlford on Sunday 8th November will be at 9:30 am.
(The Guarlford History Group page Lest we forget contains information about some local casualties)
|25th October 2015||
Extracts from Foley Estates Sale 1910Extracts from the Foley Estates Sale Catalogue. A partial transcription has been made from the sale catalogue about many fields and cottages lying either side of the road between Barnards Green and Guarlford, and the people living there at the time. To this have been added some old and modern photos from the Guarlford History Group archive. A link has been added to the GHG Reminiscences page. This is the first draft, to which over time we hope to add more background notes. If you have anything you would like to add please let us know.
|6th October 2015||
Planning application 15/01286/FULA planning application has been submitted seeking a field entrance into Chance Lane from the field known as Rose Farm which already has a field entrance on the Guarlford Road.
If you would like to comment on this application, please note comments must be submitted to MHDC by 16th October
|27th August 2015||
Noticeboard updated with information about forthcoming Fun Quiz Evening and Harvest festival.
Fifty photos of memorials at the eastern end of the churchyard have been added to the 'survey of the churchyard' page. It is hoped to complete the photographic record by late Autumn.
|8th July 2015||
ChurchNews page updated with information about family friendly activities at St Mary Madresfield.
Many thanks to all those who helped at the Madresfield Court Open Gardens and Fete event on Saturday 6th June, including those who donated items for the stalls and baked for the tea room. Luckily the weather held dry and everyone seemed to have had a good time!
|29th May 2015||
Parish CouncilChairman's report for 2014 - 2015 added to website
ChurchPlanning is well advanced for the Madresfield Court Open Gardens and Fete on Saturday 6th June, 2 - 5 pm. This event is by kind permission of Mr & Mrs Chenevix Trench and is in aid of Madresfield C of E Primary School and the parish churches of Guarlford and Madresfield. Entry is £5 per adult, accompanied children 11 years and under free.
|28th April 2015||Noticeboard and church services updated|
|1st March 2015||Details of Daffodil Sunday on Sunday 15th March at Madresfield Court added to noticeboard.|
|24th Jan 2015||
Mobile library stop at Guarlford discontinued
Worcester County Council has advised that due to financial cutbacks the mobile library fleet is being reduced from four vans to one and from 31st January 2015 there will no longer be stops at Guarlford and Madresfield.
|18th Jan 2015||Story added about the Tudor Edwardes sisters who are buried in the churchyard.|
|12th Jan 2015||
Parish council minutes of 8th Sep 2014 added
WI programme for 2015 added
Church services listed to the end of February
|7th January 2015||
Update on survey of the churchyard
More photographs of memorials in the churchyard, taken last year, have been added to the website. That leaves the remainder of the eastern and southern sections to be completed once the weather gets warmer.
Wishing everyone in the parish a Happy New Year
|10th December 2014||
More historical information about clergyThe page about baptisms at St Mary has been extended to include a list of past curates and rectors, and mini biographies of some of the clergy who officiated at baptisms.
|9th December 2014||
Car accident in Chance LaneOn Monday morning a car was reported well in the ditch on the west side of Chance Lane - near the bend at the junction with Grove House Farm. See photos below.
There is police tape blowing into the road so take care if you are cycling.
|1st December 2014||
Church services for December are now on-line.
|5th September 2014||
Amended pagesChurch Services and WI News pages updated
|27th August 2014||
Publications updateAn electronic version of chapter 7 of 'The Guarlford Story'
The Impact of War, has been published on-line (see link on GHG publications page).
Lest we forget page further updated; an image of the 'Roll of the Fallen' in Hanley Swan village hall has been included.
The Guarlford Story is still available from the Malvern Book Coop, but only a few copies remain.
|18th August 2014||
Lest we forgetMore information added about the men of Guarlford who fell in two World Wars
|4th August 2014||
Work has begun on taking
memorials in the churchyard to link with the survey of
churchyard inscriptions (20% complete).
See noticeboard for alert about Giant Hogweed.
|21st Jun 2014||
A microfilm of baptisms at St Mary 1843 to 1884 has been discovered at Worcester Records Office at the Hive, click for more information.
Addition of Parish Council financial statement for 2013/14.
|20th May 2014||
Chairman's report for 2013 - 2014 and minutes of 10th March meeting added to website.
|13th May 2014||
Planning applicationMHDC planning application 14/00516/FUL seeks approval for a new field entrance from Chance Lane into the field to the west known as Rose Farm (this already has an existing entrance off the Guarlford Road). If you wish to comment you can do so through the MHDC planning website up to 21st May 2014
|24th March 2014||
Churchyard and Survey
Transcription of the monumental inscriptions recorded in
1990 is now complete, plus some notes have been added.
Minor amendments have also been made to the churchyard page and information received from the Beckwith family who have a memorial in the churchyard.
|3rd March 2014||
A survey of memorials in the churchyard was made circa 1990; we have begun transcribing the manuscript records for the website - a few more names added.
|5th February 2014||
UpdateThe weather continues to be wet and windy, and many fields and footpaths remain waterlogged. The river Severn has overflowed its banks below the Powick bridge and at Upton, and on occasion the Hanley Road has been closed.
Stocks of the Guarlford mug are now running low, so if you want want one (or more) please contact a member of the Guarlford History Group or email the webmaster as soon as possible.
The noticeboard page has been updated with information about church activities, the WI, and the date for Daffodil Sunday.
A shortened version of the Guarlford History Group's story about John and Edward Archer has been published in the Grapevine.
A number of friends have 'passed on' in recent months, who will be missed.
|13th January 2014||
The library in Great Malvern is in the process of being refurbished with work due to finish in April 2014. When visited today the reference section on the lower ground floor was not accessible, nor were certain areas on the ground floor, so it might be advisable to phone before making a special visit.
The Worcestershire Hub customer service centre will be moving to the lower ground floor, to where the Job Centre will relocate. The cafe will remain where it is.
Be prepared for some chaos and disruption during the next few weeks.
Citizens Advice Bureau
The Citizens Advice Bureau has moved and is now located on the industrial estate near Festival Housing
|4th November 2013||
Notice board updated
The WI AGM will be on 12th November (not first Tuesday as published in the Grapevine).
|3rd July 2013||
The Beckwith sisters and their family
History page added about the family of the Beckwith sisters who are buried in Guarlford churchyard. Their father was professional soldier Major General William Henry Beckwith (1766-1844).
|22nd June 2013||
Teacher, Kenneth Woolley, who died in 2012, was the youngest son of Clarence William Woolley, the respected headmaster of Guarlford National School from 1923 to his death in 1941. Ken had happy memories of growing up in Guarlford and very kindly left a legacy to the church in his will.
|22nd June 2013||
History web page added
Story of John and Edward Archer added to the website. They were not only hotel keepers of Great Malvern, but also benefactors and churchwardens of St Mary Guarlford.
|9th June 2013||
A village Bring and Share Picnic Lunch to mark the 60th anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953 was held at Cherry Orchard by kind permission of Peter and Liz. The weather held fine and a good time was had by all. (Photos to follow.)
On sale were commemorative mugs designed by Guarlford History Group member Michael Skinner. Please contact Eric or the Webmaster if you would like a mug, price £3.
The inscription on the back reads,
Guarlford History Group commemorates the 60th anniversary of the coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 1953 - 2013.
|8th June 2013||
Open Gardens & Fete at Madresfield Court
Following the cancellation of Daffodil Sunday due to ice and snow, the PCC and the Friends of Madresfield C of E Primary School held a special fundraising event in the grounds of Madresfield Court . We are very grateful to our hosts for allowing us to use the lovely gardens. The weather held fine and a good time was had by all. Many thanks to all the helpers for their hard work, those supervising the parking of hundreds of cars, the Friends with the splendid Fete and the ladies of the two villages working so hard serving Teas in the Playroom. Over £8,000 was raised which will be shared between the Parish Churches of Guarlford and Madresfield, and Madresfield C of E Primary School.
|29th May 2013||
Church Jubilee Gates Appeal
Contributions are invited towards replacing the church gates in Rectory Road. To a casual observer the gates may look fine but in fact there has been a lot of decay and further repair with filler has become impractical.
For further information please go to church news page
|14th April for 21st||
Change to church services
Please note there has been a change since the Grapevine was published.
On Sunday 21st April there will be no service at Guarlford. Instead there will be a joint service at St Mary Madresfield starting at the earlier time of 10:30 am
|12th April 2013||
Revd William Joseph Fancourt
New history page added about Revd William Joseph Fancourt who was the second incumbent of St Mary Guarlford between 1846 and 1851.
|13th March 2013||
St Mary church interior and benefactors
New 'history' page added about people named in the east window and on the plaque above the west entrance.
|2nd March 2013||
New page added about Victorian benefactor Charles Morris 1799 - 1856 who was a benefactor not ony to Guarlford but also North Malvern.
|25th Feb 2013||
Malvern Food Bank
Church news report added about Malvern Food Bank and how you can help.
|9th Jan 2013||
Guarlford Christmas Fair 2012
The 2012 Guarlford Christmas Fair again proved to be a festive and jolly occasion and despite the straitened times we are going through it raised a credible £1000.20 which was shared equally between village hall (towards its upkeep) and to the PCC (towards maintenance of our two churches).
Much gratitude is owed to all our stall holders and helpers for their considerable efforts. Most of us are getting on a bit but still manage to rise to the occasion. (Though it was pleasing to see three generations of the Lockley family manning the Tombola Stall.) Cath Lockley and Wendy Bennett particularly wished to express their thanks to all who generously responded to their requests for tombola gifts.
We are very grateful to all who supported the event with gifts and by coming along. Sue Fellows mentioned that she had never seen so many cakes. Finally, of course, thanks to Santa for his presence.
|18th Dec 2012||
Please note the mobile library will now call on Wednesdays at the slightly earlier time of 1:50 pm to 2:20 pm
|29th October 2012||
Church services updated for November.
The Conservators have called a special public meeting to discuss access into Rose Farm field on the Guarlford Road. It will be at 5:00 pm on Thursday 1st November in the Elgar Room of the Council House in Avenue Road (see noticeboard page).
Hearsay is that the public and press may be excluded from discussion of this topic at the Board meeting on 8th Nov.
|22nd October 2012||
An event was held at Grange Farm Nirsery on 20th October to mark the launch of Jo Newell's autobiography. Click this link for more information on Horsing about with dogs and lorries.
The village grapevine has picked up rumours of a developer seeking permission from the Malvern Hills Conservators for access to the field known as Rosebarn on the Guarlfor Road for a possible housing estate.
The matter is likely to be discussed at the next meeting of the main board of the Conservators on 8th November 2012.
If you have views, you might wish to write or talk to your representative before 8th Nov.
|7th September 2012||
This and that
Coming up you will see on the notice-board there will be a meeting of the Parish Council on Monday 10th Sep, followed by the annual WI Produce and Handicraft Show the next day. Last week a very successful coffee morning was held at Grange Farm. at which about £300 was raised in aid of Canine Partners.
Also coming up in October will be the annual Harvest lunch. Please book tickets with church wardens as soon as possible so food can be planned.
A page has been added to the Guarlford History Group section about the church tithe of 1866.
|6th August 2012||
Telephone number for booking the Village Hall updated and alternative number added on 'Contact Us' page.
|5th August 2912||
Additions to Guarlford History Group pages
`1) About Charles Andrew whose sister married Revd Wathen in1851
2) About the churchyard
|22nd July 2012||
New page added to the Guarlford History Group section about the interior of the church and memorials.
|4th July 2012||
Village Jubilee celebration
Page added to reminiscences recording the village Diamond Jubilee picnic
|8th May 2012||
Read about the village Diamond Jubilee Celebration Picnic on 5th June.
The Madresfield School Fair planned for 21st April was cancelled as the weather forecast was poor - apologies to all those concerned.
The Fair will now take place on 12th May - even if wet!
|27th March 2012||
Noticeboard page updated. New page added to GHG reminiscences about history of the church bell
|27th March 2012||
Madresfield School Website
One of the nearest primary schools serving Guarlford is at Madresfield which now has its own website,
|31st January 2012||Church services added for February and March. Church fabric report added to St Mary Reports, which highlighting the serious problem with theft.|
|10th January 2012||
Change of Parish Clerk
Following the retirement of Michael Skinner as the Clerk of Guarlford Parish Council on 31st December 2011 after 30 years service, his successor is Helen Sommerville.
|5th January 2012||
WI programme for 2012 added and church services updated.
|29th November 2011||
Upton Bridge is yellow
Local people were invited to choose the new colour scheme for Upton Bridge, but there seems to have been a mistake as instead of the subdued colour expected the bridge has been repainted bright yellow!
|22nd November 2011||
Metal thieves strike again
On the night of 21st November metal thieves raided the church again stripping lead from the roof of the vestry and porch. The Malvern Gazette reports a spate of thefts in the area including theft of lead from Malvern College, The Chase School and St Peter's church, and manhole covers.
Please be alert and note down the registration number of any suspicious vehicle.
Consider also writing to your MP asking what active measures the government and police are taking to deal with the situation.
|7th October 2011||
Theft of Guarlford Church Bell
Thieves stole the church bell from St Mary's, Guarlford, during the night of Thursday 6th and Friday 7th October.
The bell had safely hung in a Hornbeam tree in the churchyard for nearly a century after the turret on the church roof was removed for structural reasons.
The thieves cut the cable to the security lamp and tyre tracks suggest a heavy vehicle was involved.
The bell which weighs about 200 Kg is marked at the top M&S.CO and in the middle 'RECAST- 1926'.
The bell had also been marked with 'smart water' to aid identification.
The thieves had returned after being disturbed on Monday night.
Anyone with useful information should contact West Mercia Police on
Tel 0300 333 3000
|30th Aug 2011||Memories of Sam Beard added to the website|
5th July 2011
A tribute to Charlie Williams added to GHG Reminiscences
New link to SS Salween added to John Beddington page
|30th June 2011||
Modifications to web pages
Additions to WI photos page
|27th May 2011||
WI page amended to show 1:00 pm closing time of Federation Office.
Addition of 'Lest We Forget' page. This includes mention of Olaf Petersen who lived with his Aunt at Old Elm Cottages near the junction of Hall Green with the Guarlford Road.
Addition of page about Joan Bradshaw, village historian (1918 - 2007)
|2nd May 2011||
Additions to web pages
Minutes of the Parish Council meeting on 13th December 2010 added and meetings before 2010 deleted from the PC meetings page.
Notice of next PC meeting on 16th May added to notice-board.
Link to a video of the 1993 Guarlford Village Fete added to the reminiscences page.
|23rd March 2011||
Updated web pages
Church services added for April and May.
WI About us, and WI News pages updated
|20th March 2011||
Notice board page updated
Don't forget to come to Daffodil Sunday at Madresfield on Sunday 27th March.
other dates for your diary are,
Pram service for mothers and toddlers 28th March
Village Hall AGM 11th April
Annual church meeting 27th April
|11th March 2011||
WI Fun Quiz Evening
The WI Quiz was well attended by about 60 people, who split into competitive teams of four. Spot prizes were awarded between the seven rounds and a snack of vegetable soup, roll and butter, and a choice of pudding was served at half time. Everyone had a good time and the competition was won by a team from Penny Lane.
|11th January 2011||
Happy New Year
Unusually we had a white Christmas. The snow first fell on the 17th December and remained until the thaw began on 28th. The weather was colder than average with the lowest recorded temperature being minus 15 deg C. Fortunately the main roads were kept clear, but there was plenty of ice on side roads to catch the unwary.
It was reported that there had been an attempt to steal fuel oil from the church, so be on the lookout. A number of people in the Malvern area also reported burst pipes.
|17th December 2010||
Fortunately the snow held off enough for the U3A Welsh Group, which included some Guarlford residents, to go ahead with a festive lunch at the Worcestershire Golf Club at Malvern Wells. Suffice it to say that the meal was very good, and we were well looked after by the staff in comfortable surroundings.
|27th November 2010||
Talk to Guarlford History Group
The Guarlford History Group, in association with the Madresfield History Project, hosted a presentation entitled "Great Great Grandfather and a Few Sheep" on Sunday 21st November, at The Village Hall, Guarlford.
The talk, presented by Mike Beard, was illustrated with a series of slides (PowerPoint Presentation). Mike first established his credentials by showing census records indicating that the Beard family had been resident in Guarlford for over 160 years.
By describing his research into his family tree Mike revealed two family mysteries, one culminating in the discovery of a Great Great Grandfather, Joseph Watkins, of Colwall, who was transported to Australia for stealing three sheep off Hook Common, Near Upton, in 1851.
The second mystery involved plantation owners in Trinidad in the early 1900's. This mystery was never solved. Mike also included anecdotes of his family's life in Guarlford in more recent years. The talk was excellent and much appreciated by the audience of over twenty people. It was a warm and enjoyable experience on a cold day.
Mike has transcribed the census records for Guarlford and very kindly presented a copy to the Guarlford History Group. For copyright reasons these cannot be put on-line, but can be made available to individuals for private research.
|1st November 2010||
Update for October
The church warden of St Mary has created an interesting display showing photographs of the interior of the church as it was circa 1900. This can be seen on the south wall near the font. See also history of St Mary on this website.
Sam Beard has kindly donated some books to the History Group, including histories of WWI and WWII.
Mike Beard has been busy transcribing the census returns for Guarlford and has offered to give a Family History talk on 21st November (to be confirmed; please check notice-board for details).
If you have memories or photos you would like added to the website, please contact the webmaster.
|7th September 2010||
Minor updates to the website
Notice board updated. The next meeting of the Parish Council will be on 13th September. Note the mobile library will next visit Guarlford on 21st September.
A reference has been added to the other publications page about an excellent new book relating the social history of the nearby villages of Hanley Castle and Hanley Swan from Norman times to the present day.
|8th June 2010||
The Dog at Baughton
On Tuesday 8th June Guarlford WI celebrated their birthday anniversary with dinner at 'The Dog at Baughton'.
Everyone enjoyed the menu; the food was very good and plentiful and the service was excellent.
Well-behaved dogs are allowed in the bar.
Directions: from Upton on Severn cross the A38 onto the Pershore road.'The Dog' is about 2 miles further on, on the left.
Telephone: 01684 594340
|26th May 2010||
From the Grapevine
Members of the Guarlford WI and other ladies from the village are currently making comfort quilts in support of Project Linus UK whose aim is to provide a sense of security and comfort to sick and traumatised babies, children and teenagers through the provision of new home made patchwork quilts and knitted / crocheted blankets. Please get in touch if you would like to offer help or contribute materials (email: email@example.com). More information about Project Linus can be found on their website.
Following the article 'Guarlford's Yesterdays Today', in the parish magazine, memories have been received of the shopping centre in Barnards Green as it was between 1920 and about 1950.
Do you have your own memories of the area that you would like to send us?
Visitors to St Mary's will notice a new aisle runner. This has been funded from a generous bequest from a dear friend and supporter of the church.
The Guarlford History Group held an open afternoon on 25th February when the archive of old photographs, maps and documents was reviewed. Several visitors came along, some bringing more photographs and information for the project. If you have anything to offer for the Guarlford Archive, please contact us or email firstname.lastname@example.org
|23rd Feb 2010||
Some other local history books
Malvern library recently hosted a display of new books. Despite the snow, members of the GHG went along to find out more:-
|4th January 2010||
The mobile library timetable for 2010 can now be reached from a link on the noticeboard page - the WI news page has been updated
|26th Dec 2009||
Another Car Crash
On an icy Boxing Day morning a blue Vauxhall Omega believed to have been approaching from Clevelode Lane skidded and crashed into the pond railings which had only recently been repaired following a previous crash. The joint holding two sections of the railings together came apart and the scaffolding pierced the front of the car. See Malvern Gazette.for photo and full account.
|27th Oct 2009||
September saw a meeting of the parish council, a coffee morning in aid of the ALF group and back to church Sunday. On 4th October a Harvest Lunch was held in the Village Hall after the Harvest Festival service in St Mary's. Thanks to all who helped decorate the church, provided the excellent food and washed up! Over £450 was collected in aid of Masasi.
On Monday 5th October a car travelling from Malvern failed to negotiate the bend near the church and demolished the pond railings. Fortunately nobody drowned or appeared to be seriously hurt.
Keith Chester has sent some more photos for the village archive plus a cutting from the Malvern Gazette May 27, 1944 reporting the rescue of the Beaufigter pilot by Charlie Williams. Click here to read transcript.
|9th Oct 2009||
A well attended meeting of the U3A Local History Group heard a fascinating talk by Rod Ellis about the history of the non-conformist chapels in Malvern based on his book 'Dissenters All'.
|20th Sep 2009||
Battle of Britain Sunday
This year the local service was held at Lansdowne Methodist church where we met to recall that in 1940 the RAF against all odds defended this country, and many gave their lives so that we can live and worship in freedom.
The congregation was joined by members of the Royal Air Forces Association and cadets from the Malvern Air Training Corps.
|17th Sep 2009||
There was another collision at the junction of Chance Lane with the main Guarlford road at 4:30 pm last Thursday. Police, fire, and ambulance vehicles were in attendance and the main road was closed for about half an hour.
A similar accident occurred only recently, on 11th July 2009, and about a year previously a van travelling from Guarlford veered off the road presumably to avoid traffic waiting at the junction and demolished the 'Welcome to Malvern' sign opposite Chance Lane.
|5th Sep 2009||
Web Page Navigation Bars
All pages have now been updated with the new horizontal navigation bar. The menu text is larger than before and the buttons light-up when the mouse pointer rolls over .
The top menu is unchanged, but the drop down boxes have been replaced by the lower menu bar.
For example to access the pages about our books, click GHG on the top menu and then Publications on the lower menu.
To read memories of people in the village simply click GHG and you will be taken straight there.
If you get lost look at the site map accessed from the Home page which shows how the pages are organised.
|22nd Aug 2009||
Web Page Navigation Bars
We are giving the web pages a fresher look, and at the same time, the menu buttons are being enlarged and simplified to make them easier to read. As a trial, the Home page has been modified which works with Firefox and Internet Explorer version 7. The remaining web pages are being updated gradually.
If the new pages do not display correctly on your computer, please would you let the Webmaster know, using the email address below - and give details of the browser version you are using, for example IE5 or IE6.
|6th July 2009||
Parishioners enjoyed the Parish Picnic on Madresfield school field following Junior Songs of Praise last Sunday. Fortunately the rain held off and it was good to see members of the ALF group.
Thank you to all those members of the parish who made cakes etc and supported the Canine Swimathon at Half Key Kennels in aid of Support Dogs. It was a good day with the band playing and the sun shining. Over £1,200 has been raised so far with some dogs still to swim.
The Hanley Society 'History' Open Day in Hanley Swan Village Hall on Saturday 20th June was a great success and real treat for those interested in the history of the area. Outside the hall the authors of the book 'Blackmore Park in World War II', about the US Army hospitals at Blackmore Park 1943 - 45, had set up a display complete with US Army Ambulance! Those who enjoyed the first book will be glad to know a further book 'Return to Duty' is in preparation. In addition to displays about the Hornyold, Lechmere and other families, stands were manned by Malvern Museum and the Guarlford History Group. In a side room a DVD played of old cine film including footage of the Upton Floods and later in the day Charlie Williams spoke about farm memories.
The Hanley Society have gathered a wealth of material and hope to publish one or more books about the area.
|7th April 2009||
Updates to end March 2009
Daffodil Sunday at Madresfield Court was extremely well attended and a record £9,000 was raised in aid of Guarlford and Madresfield churches. A special thankyou to Lady Morrison, Peter Hughes and all who helped to make the event such a success this year.
Sam Beard has donated a bench in memory of his parents to the Village, which can be seen in the lobby of the Village Hall.
Keith Chester who lived at the Homestead in Clevelode Lane has provided more memories about growing up in Guarlford between the wars These can be found on the memories page.
A news article by the chairman of the Guarlford History Group for the Grapevine has been reproduced on the Future Programme page. Views from villagers are invited on how to continue the work of the group.
In addition minor updates have been made to the notice-board, church services, Rector's message, WI and parish council pages.
|29th Jan 2009||
Guarlford History Group
Sales of the new book 'The Guarlford Scene' have reached 500 but there are plenty of copies still available.
The group is now compiling an archive of photographs and memories to be made available to interested researchers.
Building links with other Local History Groups is also being considered and an exploratory meeting has been held with Hanley.
There may also be the possibility of further events in the village hall.
Let us know if there is anything that interests you particularly.
|29th Jan 2009||
Updates to Web Site to end January
Plaque in memory of fallen in two world wars added to photo gallery
WI and church pages updated
Parish Council pages reorganised to help meet freedom of information requirements
Photo added to Evacuees page
|5th Oct 2008||
Updates to Web Site During October
|30th Sep 2008||
Updates to Web Site during August and September
Growing up in the 1920s. Amy Neal recounts her early years in Guarlford.
Classic Marquees of Malvern added to list of businesses
Page added about new pictorial history book 'The Guarlford Scene'
Church services updated.
|22nd Sep 2008||
Copies of 'The Guarlford Scene' are now available to purchase from Beacon Books on Worcester Road Great Malvern, Grange Farm Nursery shop at Guarlford and from the authors. Books are selling briskly and we have received some very favourable reviews. A bargain at £10 RRP and an even better deal for residents.
This would make an excellent Christmas present. Why not order copies while stocks last!
|1st Sep 2008||
The publisher has delivered our new book 'The Guarlford Scene' so the launch on Sunday 14th September will definitely go ahead.
|31st Aug 2008||
The route and frequency of the mobile library has changed. It will now call every three weeks at Guarlford, after lunch, between 2:20 and 2:50 pm.
Enquiries about the service should be made to Malvern Library,
Tel 01684 561223 & 573582
Updates to Web Site during May, June and July
Web content updated to give advance notice of Book Launch on Sunday 14th September when the latest book about the village 'The Guarlford Scene' will go on sale for the first time.
Significant changes to Reminiscence pages:-
Photographs added to Leslie Halward page
New pages created in memory of,
John Henry Tandy
Frank Jarrett and Clark family
John Bedington (RN)
Updates to Web Site During April
Link to 'Walk for a Summers Day' added to the Walks page, together with a shortened version suitable for printing at home. Draft walks removed.
Link to Description of Village Hall Facilities added to the Hire Charges page.
Link to Malvern Business Directory added to the Links page.
Additions made to the Businesses page.
Sawing Log photo added to the photo gallery
Minor changes to the St Mary's Benefice page
To place news on this page please e-mail: email@example.com